Six of Pentacles


:

Meaning: Generosity, ability to receive help

Depiction: In their room at The Spouter Inn, Queequeg has two piles of silver on the table, and pushes one toward Ishmael, who looks surprised and grateful. Six gold doubloons hang on the wall in the background.

Text: Chapter 10 - A Bosom Friend
He made me a present of his embalmed head; took out his enormous tobacco wallet, and groping under the tobacco, drew out some thirty dollars in silver; then spreading them on the table, and mechanically dividing them into two equal portions, pushed one of them towards me, and said it was mine. I was going to remonstrate; but he silenced me by pouring them into my trowsers’ pockets. I let them stay.


Gold dollar - Wikipedia

Comments: Without a doubt, Queequeg is the most generous character in the book, which this passage clearly demonstrates. In contrast, Captain Ahab's monomania doesn't allow for magnanimity, though he has moments of kindness and empathy, as shown in his interactions with Starbuck and Pip.

No comments:

Post a Comment